I have tried to sue the 16GB drive to move large files (video etc.)
from computers but have given up.  It will not take sustained writing
of large files.  It is a Kingston (normally a reliable brand) and it
just cannot do it.

Technically, the FAT32 format of the drive can't handle files larger than 4GB. Are the videos, etc., larger than that? To use larger files you need NTFS. Can you reformat that drive? If/when you do, can you transfer the videos?

USB2 drives that are Mac formatted seem to be OK with large files, but I don't have a flash drive that big, only hard drives.