>Rather than anyone demanding an apology, I propose we all
>apologize.  Tom can apologize for using your post to reply to
>a previous discussion (whether he did it intentionally or not),
>you can apologize for overreacting to what you thought Tom
>intended, and I'll apologize for . . . uh, whatever it was that I
>did wrong. Actually, I'm sorry for my part in escalating
>the flame war, for making too much fun of those 2005 posts, etc.
>
>OK?

OK. I accept. We can all climb down and apologize.

Correct analysis and good insights: I definitely did consider the "M$"
thread to be a branch of earlier threads and treated it as such.

If you look at how the threads go around here you will often see that the
discussion zigzags through a cluster of threads. Sometimes these spawns
are labeled with a "Was:" note. Sometimes threads make puzzling jumps.
For example the current thread "OS X on Dell Mini 9" has long departed
its subject line to carry on threads with very different subject lines.
Note that today Eric made a long post to "OS X on Dell Mini 9" but the
content is really more pertinent to "In Defense of Idiots" or the older
discussions "Laptop Hunters."