We've tried it. It worked good. But then, so did Zoho, and so does
Google Docs. What actually forced us to keep using Office was envelope
printing, which I could never quite get right in OO.

I've never actually tried to put a bunch of documents online, so I
can't speak with any experience. But I don't think Office can do it.
If they just want to make a list to be manually copied somewhere, that
could be done with virtually any app including notepad. If they're
making a website, they should probably work with whatever the site is
using (e.g. Wordpress). Actually, now I think about it, I do keep
maybe a dozen important company documents online - I just used
Dreamweaver to make a list.