Somebody I know uses Open Source Alfresco document management with a commercial canon scanner.

But there is a lot of techie setup and server overhead and sometimes paper and drawers are in certain ways just easier and cheaper.

basically tech by itself ... a software program or a digital tool ... isn't an answer without the tech skills and overhead that set it up, do the training of users and maintain it thereafter.

db

Tony B wrote:
Okay, so we have a whole honking *file cabinet* full of paper
documents that need to be scanned and put online. This is not going to
be an easy task.

But you're skipping all the way to almost the end of the project and
asking about databases. Long before you worry about a db you need to
figure out how to scan the stuff. Most commercial scanners will come
with some sort of document management app. I think.

Monumental task, not for a database app at all. What you want is a
sheet-fed scanner with document management software. I dunno, but
here's a random link via a search for "sheet fed document management":
http://ask-leo.com/fujitsu_scansnap_a_fast_sheetfed_document_scanner.html