Thanks for the tip on the Fujitsu scanner--you can get a nice tray- feed scanner for a lot less than when I used a $3,000 Canon tray-feed scanner to to make tiffs for a fax-on-demand service.

However, scanning is the EASY part. I've worked on--and supervised-- scanning projects and digital document archives before. A well- thought-out classification system, preferably embodied in an idiot- proof, robust database (planned BEFORE you start scanning) is a must. I say this from sad experience. The last such project I worked on had an Excel spreadsheet (in lieu of a real database) to keep track of the documents, with a vague classification system and minimal data in the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet was kind of an ad- hoc affair, altered whenever the supervisor decided that the project needed improvements. Result: the association members, who were supposed to log into the website to download the documents, couldn't find anything. They complained a lot before they just gave up on using the system entirely.

Needless to say, I wasn't supervising THIS project.

By contrast, the computerized fax-on-demand service, which I DID supervise: I used a FileMaker Pro database; the paper documents were classified and entered into the database before anything was scanned. I always knew where to find any type or category of document--or any particular title--and the members did too.

And as for the nonprofit with the cabinet full of documents to be scanned: I"m betting they have friends in other organizations with tray-feed scanners they can use, and interns to run them. These small political nonprofits tend to be cash-poor--which is why I'm hoping that Base will work for them--but they're connection-rich.

--Constance Warner

The previous system