What is metadata? Where can I find out more about it?
Thanks

Steve

t.piwowar wrote:
If you embed metadata in each file you can have all the database-like fields stored with the document. This eliminates database maintenance and coordination issues entirely. I think this would be a significant management advantage.

Then all you need is a document reader that can search and filter on the metadata. There are bunches of free/inexpensive applications aimed at photographers that do this. The OS X Finder is also steadily getting better at accessing files based on metadata. I don't know how far along M$ has come.