We've discussed this before on the list. The new WinFS file system was
supposed to be implemented with Vista and would have used metadata in
files to sort them.

The old idea of a hard drive with folders within folders within
subfolders would no longer be necessary. Store all your files in root,
but view them by using metadata filters.

Sounds cool to me, but MS has no plans to introduce it anytime soon.
It isn't in Win7 either AFAIK.