"I don't understand why..."

The usual answer to this type of question is Money.

In our system of government, you get what you pay for.
You didn't pay for government of the people, by the people, for the people, so you (and me and other taxpayers) don't get it. The special interests pay for government of the people, by the corporation, for the corporation, so they get it.