It is required to open a bank account as they have to check with a clearing house to see if you are safe.

To get a job they must check your immigration status (I-9) and possibly if you are foreign sounding run your SS number to see if you are eligible for employment.

There are SS #s that state not eligible for employment.

My wife is an Alien (Canadian) and has a SS card. She is eligible for employment.

She must show her alien card when she is hired and fills out an I-9 form.

The SS# has taken on a very big significance in the life of a person who lives and works in the USA.

By the way in Canada it is called the SIN number.  (Social Insurance Number)

Stewart