In iTunes, it's easy to join cuts from a CD, as long as they're AIFF or WAV. iTunes can do that for you for most audio genres except podcasts.

It doesn't join MP3 or AAC files. You need another program to do that. I haven't had much luck either finding the books on CDDB, and I don't want to take the time to rename them myself, or tag them. Can't recall which program I used for joining the tracks, but there are several freeware and shareware ones listed at Versiontracker.com. I think I used Toast one time and QT Pro another, too.

Before I knew to join the files from a whole CD, I would add the
files from each CD of a book to a playlist and simply order them by
date added. Using this method iTunes made just a few mistakes in a
few dozen books loaded. That was OK, but joining files is better.