Jeff Wright wrote:
As the owner/user of half a dozen networked XP machines
<snip>

If XP is handling everything for you, then why upgrade?  XP SP3 is
being supported for 5 more years.

You don't run as admin on these machines, right?
No, of course not - I have user accounts on all of them and use them. For the machine that I use for a print server, I don't even log into it, except for occasionally checking for MS security updates.

As a retiree, why should I be
forced to "upgrade" from XP to Win7<snip>?

Who is forcing you to upgrade?
I guess "forced" was the wrong word and probably should have been omitted from the sentence. It just seems that there is considerable marketing pressure on people like me to upgrade. And I find that unfortunate. The reality is that, if these machines are still chugging along in 5 years but "support" becomes a problem, I will just move over to Linux, which seems to be improving daily. I have a couple of machines running the latest version of Ubuntu, and I am very happy with that. (By the way, none of these machines were purchased - they are all hand-me-downs or rescued from various dumpsters during town cleanup days that I run.)

Mike