I've seen lots of disks with extra partitions for manufacturer stuff.
But usually it's a simple matter to just ignore it and toss in a newly
copied hard drive.

I guess what I'm saying is this explanation doesn't make sense to me.
Do you have a link for further reading? Or is this just another reason
not to use Acronis?

PS Yes, there are still a few people on this list that like to talk
about computers. For now.