On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:41 PM, Tony B wrote:
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I think you're wrong here. In the old days disk imaging may have done bit for bit clones, but these days they use
compression, and they ignore empty spaces on the disk. So they have no
trouble copying a partition to a different size disk. i.e., Last week I 'restored' my Vista 50gb partition to a brand new 75gb partition. It does
not look like a 50gb partition to the OS.

Some of us like to have choices. You are describing a different choice as if it were the only way to do it. There are times when a bit-for-bit copy is just the ticket.