On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Tony B wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is this explanation doesn't make sense to me.
Do you have a link for further reading? Or is this just another reason
not to use Acronis?

Nothing wrong with Acronis. Different methods of copying are appropriate in different cases. You need to use the right tool and the right settings for the particular job.

Making a bit-for-bit copy is going to give you an exact replica. If somebody has messed with track zero the copied drive will have the exact same modification. A bit-for-bit copy of a 100GB drive onto a 500GB platter will still look like a 100GB drive. To get the "lost" 400GB you will need to go back and mess with the drive some more or use a different copy method.