Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but I think you're wrong here. In the old
days disk imaging may have done bit for bit clones, but these days they use
compression, and they ignore empty spaces on the disk. So they have no
trouble copying a partition to a different size disk. i.e., Last week I
'restored' my Vista 50gb partition to a brand new 75gb partition. It does
not look like a 50gb partition to the OS.