I am not a lawyer but I know that every owner of an electronic recording has a right to make an archival copy for himself or herself. This applies to tapes as well as DVDs. What is illegal is to copy a recording without owning it.

The fact that it may have a copy-prevention "feature" is irrelevant.

In the case for Macrovision, early VHS players are immune to this copy protection. If I remember correctly, it shows itself as a periodic brightening and dimming of the video image when the tape is played. If you don't have one already, see if you can find a VHS player dating from about the year that stereo audio was first introduced for VHS or earlier.

Failing that, you can simply find an old analog TV with both analog input and analog output jacks. Play the tape to the TV and record on another VHS recorder from the output jacks.

b_s-wilk wrote:
A friend asked if I could convert a few VHS tapes to DVD. I've done many, so I said OK. One tape he gave me is a commercial movie--obscure, but one of his favorites--and it's never been released as a DVD. It has Macrovision.

Is there a legal way to do this conversion without buying expensive equipment like EyeTV? It's for a tape that he bought for his own use and wants to convert to a newer format for his own use. So far, our JVC VCR to Samsung DVD recorder doesn't work. We also have a cheap Philips VCR, a pro model Panasonic SVHS PV-S4990, and a VHS camcorder ca. 1985, and Canon Elura DV camcorder that we will try.

Help! Did this issue fall through the cracks of the DMCA?

Betty

*