What you are describing is becoming a niche manufacturer, and that is fine, but understand it will also have to be supported by other industries.

It reminds me of the merchants in town here.

They rail against Walmart all the time. Meanwhile one of them sells high end men's clothes (pants start at $70) and complain about no customers or their clients being stolen by Walmart. Get real!!!!

Forget about competing toe to toe with any big box store. Find out what they do not do well, and do it better. (Computers shops that actually fix computers and keep a person data etc. instead of replace components and do not know who you are.)

We have two small grocery stores in town here.  (population 13K)

They both make money and stay open. They compete against Walmart in a few areas, brands that the local store does not carry, and custom meats. They also tend to have more local produce. It is close so we do a lot of in between shopping there.

If we need a lot of groceries we travel 20+ miles to a large grocery store in the next town. (Or we bug our kids to pick stuff up for us at the commissary - two of my children are commissary eligible.)

But the whole idea is, find niche areas and do it. Your saturation level is going to be much smaller but it is doable.

Look at Ferrari's, Masserati's, these are specialty cars manufactured in low numbers and hand made. (Of course we have Salon)

Stewart