I think you're misunderstanding the concept. If you're the type of
person that needs to read email when offline, then simply enable local
saving. Nobody's forcing you to keep a single copy online.

But have you seen modern cell coverage maps of the country? What part
are you in that you can't get your email anywhere you need it? Offline
access just isn't a factor any longer.