Our backups in the cloud are certainly under OUR control. Well, mine
anyway. I tell it what to backup online, and if I need to access it, I
do.

Yes, I suppose Google et al, could announce tomorrow that they'll be
charging for gmail. But why live life based around what some company
*might* do in the future?

Your point about security is certainly a valid one. If you need HIPAA
or DOD security, then you need to be careful, as many cloud apps
aren't yet fully compliant. However, for day to day use, it really
doesn't bother me. So what if someone manages to read my old email?
There are no state secrets in there. Ditto on my computer backups.

Note though that in no cases of identity theft has anyone anywhere
ever accomplished the deed by breaking into someone's cloud storage.
It's just not that difficult.