The Wikipedia article on LCD Persistence
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence) actually has a good
explanation, FWIW. Perhaps the reason I haven't seen this on any of
our monitors yet is because I have them all set to power down in 2-3
hours. I do not use screensavers.

>The cause of this tendency is unclear. It might be due to accumulation of
>ionic impurities inside the LCD,[1] electric charge building up near the
>electrodes,[2] parasitic capacitance,[3] or "a DC voltage component that
>occurs unavoidably in some display pixels owing to anisotropy in the
>dielectric constant of the liquid crystal".[4]

Usually the image persistence is temporary, but can become permanent.
As a result, all major LCD display manufacturers exclude image
persistence from their warranties.