Dock isn't portable. Needs to be plugged in. What if I want to use a flash
>> drive or SD card? Sleek and stylish? Not with a dock and a bunch of cables.

Mine is a skinny little cable about 2 feet long. How is that not portable?
And if both the computer and iPad has bluetooth do I really want a cable?

Maybe SD is a thing of the past. New cameras are starting to incorporate
bluetooth for data transfer.

This is similar to the hyperventilating I saw when Apple switched from
5-1/4 to 3-1/2 inch disk drives or when they dropped floppy disks entirely.

If the iPad networks like the iPod or iPhone, it has more problems. Can't see either one except in iTunes or a special third party app like PhoneView. It's a big iPod without real networking, wired or wireless. Bluetooth isn't a solution if I can't mount the device on my desktop or view the drive anywhere except in limited view in limited apps. Real networking has to work before it's ready for release.

A skinny little 2 foot cable is a lot longer than plugging a flash drive or card directly into the device. That's 2 feet more cable than you need. What if you need two USB ports? Carry a hub? Bummer. What if you need USB and want to use AV out? Carry a hub and a dock? How do you add video? Most videocams don't have Bluetooth. My mobile phone does more.

How many people are going to buy a new expensive camera because their new iPad has no easy way to get the video from camera to device? $499 easily increases to $1000. It's unusual for an Apple device to be so lacking, like a peecee, except comparably priced peecees have more [but you're stuck with Windows]

SD will be around for a while. CF might go away. I don't have a problem with the device price. Base price is comparable to a no-contract smart phone--but it doesn't fit into a pocket, even a cargo pocket, and can break easily unless the display is well protected.

Let's see how they deal with these concerns. Third party solutions won't add missing ports unless there's an add-on hub at the bottom that plugs into the dock port. That makes it clumsy when they could have easily built in better connectivity.