On Jan 30, 2010, at 11:28 AM, phartz...@gmail.com wrote:
Well, just last evening you told someone here on the list that to
want to have a computing device with a USB port is clinging to the
past and represents a means of transferring data or interfacing with a
computer that is on its way out.  You said that such a port is
something that one should no longer need, and that for a company,
Apple, to provide a device that is devoid of most, even perhaps all
popular and widely used contemporary interface ports is indicative of
how Apple leads the way.  What did you mean by that if not to imply
that devices that have such ports are obsolete or are nearly obsolete,
and to desire such is directly akin to wanting a floppy drive or a
parallel port, both of which went out many years ago and are not
contemporary at all?

All that is true, but where did I say you should rush out and get one?

I think you don't remember the angst Apple caused when the Mac had an AppleTalk port instead of parallel. Ditto for the 3-1/2 floppy. Ditto for mice. Ditto when they dropped floppies. Ditto when they were the first with USB. Ditto for FireWire. Ditto for auto-sensing Ethernet. And probably a few others too. Every time people reacted exactly as you just did.