The logical conclusion of all this is bad for the consumer.  Will we need an
e-reader for each publishing house?  If I have a kindle, can I transfer
those book to an iPad?  I'd guess not...which means I never bought books...I
bought a right to read them on an e-reader.  Are we headed to the same head
banging against the wall fight we've had the last few years over MP3 drm but
now with ebooks?  No one ever learns.