You are changing the parameters to win an argument.  No one, least of all me
said use the cloud for backup.  We are specifically talking about cell
phones...devices that by their nature need access to the network to work.
I'm not putting my dissertation on google docs and trying to access it with
my iphone..I'm talking about the ability if you have a device with only 8
gigs of storage, to keep pictures you might want to see once in awhile on a
server accessible by your phone.  Not back them up there, just toss them
there in case you want to bore your friends with your kid dressed as
superman.  http://twitpic.com/u7kyz