On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM, tjpa <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> For creatives the need for a real computer remains. Getting an iPad does not
> cause me to no longer need my desktop. I use the desktop computer for what
> it does best and the iPad for what it does best. I won't give up the
> desktop. I just don't want to use it for things that the iPad does better.
>
> For non-creatives, what you say is true. Those people never had a real need
> for a desktop computer, but used one because there was no alternative. These
> people will no longer have a need for a computer.
>
> Then we have mobile creatives. They will want both.

  I feel you are correct on all points.  What matters in this regard
is that the huge bulk of computer users who would buy their own
computer are the non-creative types.  Probably 85 percent of them are
non-creatives, as you put it.   This is Apple's current primary target
consumer group.

  I think that Apple is quickly moving away from focusing upon the
creative types which had been their forte in the past.  Apple will
continue to create innovative products, but they will perhaps no
longer be making them for the "rest of us," but rather for the "bulk
of us" and the great those products will not be as powerful or as
professionally oriented as in past years.

  Steve

PS:  I just thought of this.  Who are the "bulk of us?"  I just saw an
example of it in a TV ad last night for Verizon.  Among other images
in the ad was one of a young woman crossing an urban street on foot
that was crowded with traffic, and she was staring down at her mobile
device the whole way, not paying the slightest bit of attention to
anything going on around her.