Hi Daniel,

I'll tried to fix this here:

src/gtktechnology.c: In function ‘gtk_technology_get_type’:
src/gtktechnology.c:42:809: warning: statement with no effect [-Wunused-value]
src/gtkservice.c: In function ‘gtk_service_get_type’:
src/gtkservice.c:44:764: warning: statement with no effect [-Wunused-value]

but failed miserable...

Failed also ... until this morning. Good you remind it!
Replacing G_DEFINE_TYPE_WITH_CODE() by G_DEFINE_TYPE() does the trick.
My mistake, of course I followed blindly gtk tuto when starting this project: but it's useless using the first macro if there is no extra code to declare.
Why do they use that one by default in tutos?

Another thing I tried to fix was the left menu size somehow wrong. It is really small. Normally not even one entry can be seen. Clicking
several times seems to increase the popup window size slightly.
Any ideas what that could be?

Do you have any gtk3 theme set, can you try without? I have never seen that, with or without a theme actually.
Which DM/WM are you using?

Are the character very tiny? or are they hidden somehow? (so menu is badly constructed and icons overlap etc...)

Tomasz