If your crowd can handle it, hash calling can be a great way to spice up a
dance—just kind of riffing, changing the dance every time through. If you
want to be a jerk, you can call like 4x "long lines" in a row.

Same-role swings don't happen super often and can be a fun place for
dancers to play. Likewise, for dances that have say, the 1s active and the
2s just hanging around, can allow for fun play on the sides. (But not
everyone will do this by default. Also, it can be a little dicey to
encourage this kind of sideline play from the mic—if you do, consider a
little spiel about opting in/how to say "no thank you", to avoid people
being aggressively danced at by shadows they don't particularly want to be
swinging, etc.)

I also personally really like dances that switch every time: see e.g.
Sundance/Moondance* by Robert Cromartie or Reflections
<https://www.dance.ravitz.us/#rf> by Cary Ravitz. The "oh shoot which
version are we on???" can be stressful OR, if you frame it right and the
dance hall has the right vibe, brainbendingly delightful.

Mixers—especially ones that actually have some choreographic complexity to
them—can also be fun! One of my faves in this niche is No Use Crying Over
Spilled Milk <http://caller.chrisweiler.ws/dances.htm#nousecrying>, by
Chris Weiler.

Also, you can just call a really tricky dance and encourage people to have
fun if they mess up. Some of the most fun I've had on a dance floor was
when someone called Happy As a Cold Pig in Warm Mud
<http://dancevideos.childgrove.org/contra/contra-modern/55-happy-warm-pig>
by Mike
Boerschig and before we started, warned us "sometimes your star might have
3 people in it. Sometimes it might have 5. Just roll with it!" The stars
got NUTS (sometimes accidentally, sometimes intentionally) and people got
really goofy, it was a great time.

Cheers,
Maia

* Sundance/Moondance
by Robert Cromartie (Maia McCormick var.)

A1: N seesaw
N alle. L 1½
A2: robins b&s
B1: P b&s