Hi Emily,
It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I've started pointing out in the
walkthru where flourishes could ADD to the dance, or take away from it by
making the setup for the next move more awkward (like the clap after petronella
when hands are used in the next move)
For instance, when coming back up the hall in lines of four
Lark-Robin-Lark-Robin and then facing across (preparing for a chain or R&L
thru, e.g.) I point out that the line is asymmetric, and different flourishes
work "better" on each end; on one side the Robin can cast around to get
momentum for the next move, while the other side feels smoother with a simple
Robin twirl.
I've also started pointing out good places to switch roles, and where to leave
out or modify moves for dances with mobility issues; doing half an allemand
instead of once and a half, to keep in sync with the music and avoid being late
for the next move.

bob...@aol.com

  On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 10:50 AM, Emily Addison via Contra
Callers<contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:   Hi All,
Thanks so much Jacqui, Maia, and Joe for chiming in on playful strategies and
dances. I'm sorry I didn't write back sooner but this was JUST the kind of
stuff I was looking for.  I love these types of moments as a dancer and would
like to bring more of them to the dance floor as a caller.
Thank you :) :) Emily in Ottawa
On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:10 PM Joe Harrington <contradancer...@gmail.com>