Unfortunately Jets/Rubies sounds gendered to a lot of people: while "Jet"
is a jemstone, it's also an engine, a plane, sports team, and a fictional
gang, all more male-ish than female-ish.  And "Ruby" is a commonish female
name and gemstones are more associated with women than men.

There's also a lot of benefit in having terms with "L" and "R" to tie the
role names to the roles.

It's definitely harder for experienced dancers and callers to switch from
Ladies/Gents to Larks/Robins than to Jets/Rubies, but as someone who helped
their dance switch over (and who considered Jets/Rubies at the time) people
got the new terms pretty quickly.  It's a total non-issue at our dance now.

Jeff