Oh, and another thing, which I really should have said somewhere in that long
screed.

To me, part of the essence of country dancing, what makes it attractive to me,
and why a
community grows around it is that we all need each other to for this kind of
dancing to work.

I could have a wonderful evening of waltz with me and a favorite partner and
nobody else
on the floor.  Not true for contra.  We're all on the team.

So I think we all owe each other some notice.  I really think it's rude if I've
got a guy in my right hand  and we  balance the wave right and left and he
never looks at me.  (I don't take feel personally rejected, but I think we've
missed a momentary opportunity to acknowledge each other's existence, and
perhaps smile.).

I want that much connection and acknowledgment from everybody on the floor to
everybody on the floor, and I want as many people as possible to get to share
that - to be welcomed, to feel like they're on the team, to share a smile or a
glance.

And *that's* why I'm glad to call without gender reference.

-- Alan