2 items.

1. Jets/Rubies

A story I'm unsure how many have heard:

Ultimately, what sunk "jets/rubies" wasn't so much "airplane" or
"black/red" (ships and planes are traditionally named after women, so, I
never got the whole "a jet is masculine" thing, but, I digress).
A dance I called in Brooklyn with Bob Isaacs was a tipping point -  before
Brooklyn's contra dance had settled on terms.
The orgs got a few complaints that "jets" sounded _too_ much like "gents"
in a "who are we kidding?" sort of way.

This came as a surprise to me, as the going assumption was that "sounds
like gents, but isn't actually gents" was a feature, not a bug (coming from
Hampshire College's tests that Jets/Rubies had initially became the initial
non-bands/bares popular set of genderfreee terms to try out). Jets/Rubies
was also my favorite, but my experience isn't a transgender one, and being
queer isn't a uniform viewpoint.

2. Maia's email:

Amen.

I had reached out to Jon in a private email, asking about whether the tone
of the email was joking or not; I've received no reply.
At a face value read of that email, it wasn't especially tactful or
sensitive to anyone that's not cisgender and straight on this email list.
Jon's email could be an attempt at humor, so, I'll leave that there, but,
the email bothered me as well and I'm happy Maia spoke up rather than
letting that be without any response.

in dance,
Julian