On 30 Aug 2001, Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:

> Josh Bonczkowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I downloaded the RC1 ISOs over the weekend and attempted an install
> > last night.  I'm very glad I started to read the old messages of
> > this list yesterday through the archives as it helped me get past
> > a few problems.
> >
> > First, the supplied kernel images allowed me to boot mostly properly.
> > Because this is an older SCSI machine, I had to load two modules by hand.
> > One was for the SCSI controlled itself (I don't remember the name).  The
> > other was the MESH module.  Once both of these modules were loaded
> > the SCSI CD was found and the installation would begin.
>
> Same here, although I only needed to load the MESH module.  I've got a
> PowerTower Pro 200 (604e-based clone with the same guts as the Apple
> 9600, IIRC).
>
> I used the RC1 CD's, the supplied 2.4 kernel and ramdisk image "all.gz".
>
> > Now we get to my problems.  The display during the install is awful
> > in one of two ways depending on if I check the 'Force video' option on
> > BootX.  I either get a nice looking display but the ADB mouse responds
> > extremely slowly or I get a squished display with odd colors, the images
> > wrap strangely on the screen, but the mouse functions fine.  When the
> > mouse is unresponsive, the keyboard also responds poorly (very, very
> > slow).

This is an indication that Xpmac is not running in an appropriate mode on
your machine.

         try using install-video and append your own video args

> I saw this too.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think that X drawing performance is also horrible.
> It takes a couple/few minutes for the Mandrake install screen to show
> up with the language selection step.  I'm installing off of a Yamaha
> 8x4x24 CDRW, but it doesn't look like that could be the bottleneck.
>
> FWIW, I have an IMS TwinTurbo 4M video card.  I've always had issues
> with the video driver.  I usually run in 8-bit 1280x1024 on my Sony
> 20" Multiscan with the following kernel args:
>
>   video=imsttb:vmode:20,cmode:8 -mach64
>
> I've run both with and without the "No video driver" checked, and with
> and without the above kernel args.
>
> > I get the same behavior with the on board (Chaos) controller as well as
> > with a Matrox Millenium II PCI card.
>
> Well, I'm glad it isn't just *my* video card, since there aren't that
> many of them around it seems, and it doesn't seem likely that I'll get
> the fixes I need if the problem only occurs with them.
>
> > I also noticed several messages on the first console.  The same message
> > kept scrolling by which basically said the default locale was set
> > incorrectly in a gtk module (perl I think?) and it could not find
> > the correct information.  I doubt that has anything to do with the
> > problems I have but it could be something to clean up later.

known problem - doesn't seem to affect install though

> I get this too.  Here's what it says, many times over on VT #1:
>
>  ...Gdk WARNING **: locale not supported by C library at
>/usr/bin/perl-install/my_gtk.pm line 279
>  ...Gdk WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C at
>/usr/bin/perl-install/my_gtk.pm line 279
>  ...Gdk WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers at /usr/bin/perl-install/my_gtk.pm
>line 279
>
> Also, on VT #3, I see the following messages:
>
>  * warning rm of /usr/share/locale failed: No such file or directory
>  * getFile VERSION:
>  * Trying with server Xpmac
>  * starting step 'selectLanguage'
>  * getFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/perl-install/po/en_US.po:
>  * errorOpeningFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/perl-install/po/en_US.po
>  * getFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/perl-install/po/en.po:
>  * errorOpeningFile Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/perl-install/po/en.po
>
> Sure enough, those two files are missing on the RC1 install CD.

also known - but locales do seem to get set correctly for other languages

> And finally, on VT #4, I noticed the following kernel oops:
>
>      [...]
>  <6> Partition check:
>  <6> sda: [mac] sda1 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 sda9 sda10
>  Oops: Exception in kernel mode, sig: 4
>  <4> NIP: C01C3980 XER: 20000100 LR: C027E7A4 SP: C8C53C60 REGS: C8C53BB0 TRAP: 0700
>  <4> MSR: 00089032 EE: 1 PR: 0 FP: 0 ME: 1 IR/DR: 11
>  <4> TASK = C8C52000 [20] 'insmod_' Last syscall: 128
>      [...]
>
> I doubt this is related to the horribly slow X performance, but it
> looks wrong, particularly since it never seems to get to checking
> partitions the other disks (I've got 2 other hard drives at sdb and
> sdc).

I don't like the looks of this one either, but it looks like another
module was attempting to load.

> Admittedly, I initialized the Mac partition map for this physical
> drive using the recipe I saw somewhere (dd the 1st 16 blocks from
> the raw device /dev/sda and use emacs/hexl to hex-edit the info
> into place).  pdisk seemed to think the partition map was ok enough
> to work on, so I assumed everything was fine.  Was that too hasty a
> conclusion?

If pdisk is happy with the map, you're probably OK/

> On the other hand, aren't I suppose to get a shell on VT #2?
> I don't see one.  Perhaps this is the reason?

Yes you are - this is a new one - no shell?

HTH,

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=