On 1 Sep 2001, Robert M. Fuhrer wrote:

> Now I have problem in dealing with partitioning.
>
> I partitioned my hard drive in advance using pdisk (I have an install
> of LinuxPPC on another drive), and mkfs'ed all the partitions I
> wanted to use to house file systems.  I then followed this path:
>
>   -> Use existing partitions
>   -> Choose mount points (I type in the mount points for the various
>      partitions I set up, e.g., "/", "/usr", "/tmp")
>   -> Choose the partitions you want to format
>
> At this point, if I select all but the partitions that already have
> stuff on them (e.g. /home), I get (exactly as the message appears):
>
>   "An error occurred
>     swap area needs to be."
>
> If on the other hand I select all but the partitions that have data
> on them AND the swap partitions, I get:
>
>   "An error occurred
>     swapon(sda4) failed: No such device or address."
>
> But /dev/sda4 (the swap partition) IS in fact visible if I run pdisk
> on VT#2.

I'm not sure what it is about having LinuxPPC on the machine, but setting
up the partitions with it always seems to give the installer fits.  I
think you would have better luck letting the installer create the
partitions.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=