On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, Xavier wrote:

> It seems as though the kernel arguments that I type into Bootx are
> having no effect, not even install-text or text.  What can I be doing
> wrong?  The Bootx extension is in the extensions folder, the bootx
> program is where it needs to be and I am loader the appropriate ramdisk
> file and the 32000 size.
>
> -Paul Rodriguez

Just did this again myself on the iMac to make sure there isn't any
"trick" to it.

1) You don't need the extension to install - this is just to have the
choice of MacOs/Linux when MacOS first comes up.

2) You also don't need to do anything with the System folder.  BootX has a
folder where you can put vmlinux, and all.gz can be put in the BootX
folder.

steps I took:

a) copied vmlinux from the CD to the BootX kernels folder
b) copied all.gz to the BootX folder
c) ran BootX
        kernel = vmlinux
        root device = /dev/ram3
        ramdisk size = 32000
        no video checked
        kernel arguments = text
        under Options, pointed to all.gz I copied in step b
d) pressed the "Linux" button, which launched the kernel and stage1
e) selected CDROM install and ended up in the text install

I did not continue after this point, but I was definitely in the text
install, at the "Select Language" step.

There are also 2 different kernels/ramdisks 2.2 and 2.4, although I don't
believe this has anything to do with your problems.

HTH,

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA      http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC Faq: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker-ppc&m=99441208917647&w=