On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 06:11 PM, Stew Benedict wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Aaron Stechesen wrote:
>
>>> Can you:
>>>
>>> 1) boot the rescue CD
>> Rescue cd?  Do I enter rescue from the yaboot prompt after the cd loads
>> or what. On the pc it is an option right from the time the cd
>> boots/mounts (press F1 if I am not mistaken).
>>

> I believe there is a "rescue" choice at the yaboot prompt.
>
>>> 2) tell me something about what
>>>     /sbin/pdisk -l /dev/hda
>>>    says
>> I had it partitioned fine all three times that I laid out the hard
>> drive.
>>

> I'm not doubting your partition setup.   just want to know what it is to
> be able to help out with specific instructions.
>
>>> 3) If you know what partition you installed linux on, mount it on
>>> /mnt/disk in the rescue mode and send:
>>>     the contents of yaboot.conf
>>>     ls -l /boot
>>>
>> Can't help you there right now because I removed Mandrake in place of
>> Darwin. But I may be able to devote a few GB to mandrake after. Is
>> there
>> a way to avoid this continual problem at install? I may try
>> reinstalling
>> before i install Darwin.
>
> As I said.  I have the same machine and have done many installs on it.
> We
> wouldn't have released the product if it couldn't set up the bootloader.
> Obviously in your case there's something wrong, but since the system is
> no
> longer there I guess it's a moot point,
>
> Did you ever ask for help on this list when you had the problem?
Embarassingly I couldn't quite figure this cooker thing out. I am not
very familiar with it.

To answer the partitioning from before. hda 6 was my mac partition and
is was alloted 8GB (didn't have a choice with this one). It contains OS
X.1 and 9.2 (don't like 9.2 but I needed it for my scanner). Then came
the bootstrap partition, partition type of Apple_Bootstrap. Then, root
partition size varied (ususally 3.4 GB) Partitioned as UNIXSRVR_2  (or
however that goes), linux swap (250 GB), finally /home (7+GB) also typed
UNIXSERVR_2. Install goes fine (usually) always installed clean.
Bootloader always loads and works....except  with Mandrake.