> Just how would I launch it if I need to. Do I even need to? does the ","
> need to be "."?

What he is saying is that with the yaboot.conf you have you will be unable
to boot into failsafe mode because you have a '.' where you should have a
','.  He was assuming this was a typo though in your email and that youe
yaboot.conf is actually ok. The line for initrd in yaboot.conf for failsafe
mode  should read

         initrd=hd:8,/boot/initrd.img
                    ^

(See the weird looking arrow I made trying to pint at the comma)

If you have a dot there instead od a comma you will not be able to boot
failsafe.

Hope that helps.

--
Ryan Boder