En réponse à Stew Benedict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > 1- the install program keeps asking me the 2nd CD (when I insert it,
> it wait
> > a little while, then ejects it, and asks for it) => I can't install
> any
> > packages on the 2nd CD (except after rebooting of course)
> >

> A few others have mentioned this - I haven't been able to reproduce.

I didn't mention that this 2nd CD works proprely after rebooting, I've used it
to install missing packages, like locales-fr.

I forgot to look at the virtual consoles during the install to see what was
wrong ; my ibook has to be operational till next wednesday, so I shouldn't be
able to reinstall mdk8.2 before thursday. I hope you don't plan to release the
final version before, so that I'll be able to investigate more on this point.

> > 4- usb : can't locate usb-ohci (the usb-ohci.o.gz file is missing in
> > /lib/modules/2.4.17mdk/kernel/drivers/usb)...
> > I thought the macs where uhci instead ? why was ohci detected ?
> Mine have ohci - yours use uhci?  usb-ohci is built into the PPC
> kernel
> [root@powerbook-cooker libDrakX]# dmesg | grep USB
> usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xd58d4000, IRQ 28

ok i made a mistake : the /proc/bus/usb/* files are there, so it seems to be ok.
I'll try some usb devices though (would like to have my quickcam express work
like in mdk8.1 x86).

But anyway at boot, I've this error message (can't locate usb-ohci module),
because it tries to modprobe the module... That should be fixed.

> > 6- X : starting in 400x300 :-(
> > bugfix I found :
> Those figures were provided by someone:
> /usr/share/ldetect-lst/MonitorsDB
> Apple; iBook 800x600; 0; 28.0-50.0; 43.0-75.0
> So you are saying they are too low?  I haven't had anyone else with an
> ibook mention that, but they can certainly be changed.

I do. With the figures here in MonitorsDB, I've only 400x300.
By increasing them, it first started in 640x400 then the good ol' 800x600.
May be my figures are a bit two high but I'm sure the flat panel forces it's own
frequencies... and *it works* :)

Stew, should I fine tune these figures before sending them again ?

> For applications, just run what you can.  I spent some time Monday
> going through the menus and found a few bugs myself.

ok I'll run some programs, but I couldn't install everything unfortunately : I'm
running out of disk space. I'll try to compile some also, it's a good exercise
(I found the libglade9 problem when compiling teXmacs).

> thanks,
> Stew Benedict

bye

--