Michael Hamlin wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>Ive got the two 8.2b2 iso cd's, trying to boot old-world machine.
>(PowerComputing PowerCurve tower with Powerlogix G3/450 256MB,
>catalyst motherboard, 3 hard disks and one cd-rom on scsi bus)
>
>Im using BootX 1.2 (also tried 1.2.2) with the settings as instructed;
>Stage 1 gets going, select install media from CD.. cannot find CD device.
>Looong list of drivers; selected mesh.o : cannot find CD device.
>  2nd selection: mac53c94.o : kernel panic.. reboot in 180 seconds.
>
>Checking the logs I can see the scsi probe detects the device correctly
>early in boot sequence (a Sony CD-ROM at id 3).
>
>Ive read several reports of this problem in the archive but
>didnt find any solutions that worked.
>
>If anyone knows another driver that will likely work, I'd be
>grateful.  In the meantime, I'll experiment a bit on my own.
>If I find a solution I'll post it.
>
>michael
>
>PS I have a working LinuxPPC distribution on other partitions...
>and I have no hardware problems.
>
>----
>"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." Kathleen Dixon,
>women's studies director Bowling Green University.

Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. I also tried the device you mention -
mac53c94.o but no go
I would like to know if any one here tried to copy the CD install disk
to a Hard drive and then select in the Installer the media source as:
Harddisk  . . .
I think I'm going to try this as soon as I've freed one of my partitions