On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Stew Benedict wrote:

> Have you verified that the CD can be read from LinuxPPC? Are there any
> other special drivers that are being loaded in LinuxPPC for that drive?

I have verified that the 8.2b2 cd mounts fine under my old LinuxPPC distro.
I poked around to try and find what driver is being used there.  Best
I can tell its the mac53c94.o, as there is an entry "53c94" in /proc/scsi.
If the cooker CD in the drive, then the last two lines of dmesg are
the lines:
"Universal CD-ROM driver version 3.11" and
"ISO 9660 Extensions RRIP_1991A"
The first message is also in the bootlog of the 8.2b2 install kernel,
but I dont think I saw the second.  Is there possibly a problem with this
cooker install CD being a hybrid, the installer's scsi cd driver has trouble
with that?

So anyway I tried installing again this morning:

> Start the install, select CDRom install
> Get the message no CDrom Device Found
> Select mesh......

Thats what I selected first yesterday; this time I chose mac53c94.o

And I get kernel panic:
"kernel access of bad area pc [....] tsk stage1/9"
"rebooting in 180 seconds"

> on VT3:
>
> have to insmod mesh
> needs mesh
>       succeeded mesh
> SCSI/1:       sda is a QAUNTUM FIREBALL_TM1280S
> SCSI/0: sr0 is a MATASHITA CD-ROM CR-8008
> (as an aside: sr_mod has also loaded here, although not mentioned)
> looking for Compaq Smart Array medium
> looking for DAC960
> mount /dev/sr0 on /tmp/image as type iso9660

over on VT3 I see something like this:

needs cdrom
needs ide-cd
      succeeded ide-cd
have to insmod sr_mod
needs sr_mod
      succeeded sr_mod
looking for ide media
looking for scsi media
have to insmod mac53c94
needs mac53c94

and thats the last line when the panic occurs.  Is there something wrong
with "ide-cd" being needed, since this machine doesnt have an IDE bus?

Anyway, scanning through the bootlog over on VT4(?) for anything
suspicious (not sure what would be), I do see a message about
"failed to /sbin/modprobe -s [...] scsi_hostadapter"
or something similar.  That possibly related?

Thanks for any help.

michael

----
"But then I won't be watching TV; you can see the bind I'm in."