On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Stew Benedict wrote:

> So that's the meat of the problem then. mac53c94 is causing a panic when
> loaded in Mandrake. The module itself doesn't seem to be bad, as I just
> hung a NEC 7 disk changer on the external SCSI bus of the 7600 and loaded
> that driver and stage 2 OK. But apparently on your particular box it's
> unhappy.  It could be termination, or just a core difference in the
> hardware implementation on your box.  You could try playing with the SCSI
> setup, moving the drive to the other controller or checking the
> termination.

Termination is conceivable, although I dont have any trouble when
running MacOS or LinuxPPC.  I tried the 8.2b2 installer with the
external drive on and off, had the same results.  Internally, I have
two hard drives and then the cd-rom drive, which terminates the chain.
externally, I have a hard drive and an APS CD-R drive, which has
active termination switched on.  I have used the CD-R successfully
with the external drive both on and off (no coasters!).  I have used
the external hard drive with the CD-R both on and off, no problems.

And since I'm able to run LinuxPPC with (what may be) the same cd driver,
with the external hard drive both on and off, I'm not sure why it
would have termination issues only with the one kernel and not the
other.

I could look into putting a terminator on the external hard drive and
disconnecting the CD-R, see if that makes any difference.  If there
are no better suggestions I guess thats where I am.

> What kernel do you run in LinuxPPC?  Have you tried the 2.2 kernel?  You
> could try building a monolithic kernel with needed drivers for your
> hardware and use it for the install.

My LinuxPPC distro is the Q4 2000, I think, the kernel is
# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.18-4hpmac ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 2.95.3
20001220 (prerelease/franzo/20001220)) #1 Thu Dec 21 15:16:15 MST 2000

I may try a net-install, but progress debugging this problem may be useful
for the 8.2 release.  After all, if someone buys Mandrake CDs for an
old-world machine, they dont want to have to net-install.

Thanks again for your expertise.

michael

----
"I don't believe violent video games lead to violence, but this was different.
They'd play these games for hours and hours and hours," Baumgart said.