Jeroen Diederen wrote:

Craig Miller wrote:

Hello all,

I apologize in advance for querying the list about a non-mandrake 9.x install problem. I am still using 8.2 rather nicely on my PB G3 (Pismo).

Since Apple doesn't include the audio portion on its CDdrives (I am sure they are saving a bundle), one can not just use cdp, or Grip to play a CD. My question is, has anyone had any sucess with playing an audio CD directly off the CD and out to the speakers? I thought I could just pipe cdparanoia to standard out, and then send that to /dev/sound/dsp, but it doesn't work. CDparanoia doesn't like the '-' parameter for sending to standard out (although the manpage says it does work).

So anyone have any utilities or thoughts on how to play a simple audio CD on a Mac (using PPC Linux, of course)?

TIA,

Craig...

Yes there is one option: put the attachment in /usr/lib/xmms/Input. Restart xmms.
Then in XMMS you have to go to 'Options', Input plugins. Switch off AudioCD Reader and Audio CD Reader and turn on CDDA Paranoia. It's important that in the CDDA Paranoia plugin the 'Device' points to /dev/cdrom 'Directory' to /mnt/cdrom. The cdrom has to be umounted.

To now listen to the CD, one has to say XMMS where the CD is. Open 'Directory' en choose /mnt/cdrom. If you now look in the playlist you will see the songs of the CD.

Jeroen & All,

I couldn't get the AudioCD plugin to work (that is, I couldn't figure out what you would play, since the CD is not mounted). I did use the libcdparanoia.so plugin, and it Works!!

Thanks to all,

Craig....
PS. Stew, is libcdparanoia.so going to be included in the MandrakePPC 9.x install? (How's that for bringing this back on topic ;-)