On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Chris L. Mason wrote:

> > >Also, I downloaded the latest image file from the cooker distribution, but
> > >I never saw the new Panoramix install.  Is there a different image I need
> > >to try that out?
> >
> > Yes it is kind of confusing.......
> >
> > Maybe a rename guys??
> >
> > Anyway, they are called for now in the /images directory:
> >
> > mdkinst-??
> >
> > example:  mdkinst-hd  for the harddisk install
>
> I tried the mdkinst_network image instead, but I still got the text-based
> install, although I didn't get the initial intro screen where you can pick
> the expert or rescue options.  I gave it a try anyway, with the same
> problem.

Ok first the mdkinst problem, you need more files than just the boot disk
to get the gui install to work, in other words if you don't point it at a
Cooker mirror it will not work.

> Also, I noticed something else a bit strange.  The default netmask was
> 255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway ended with .254
> instead of .1.  I think 255.255.255.0 and .1 would be much more common
> configurations and should make things easier for new users.

Eh? the netmask defaults to 255.255.255.0 for me like clock work,
and I dunno about the .1 either most people have way smaller subnets than
not.
  • [Cooke... Chris L. Mason
    • R... Bill & Lea Greenwood / Vision Computer / Fringe on the Top, Ltd
      • ... Chris L. Mason
        • ... Axalon Bloodstone
          • ... Chris L. Mason
    • R... Michael Neumann