On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Juergen Herrmann wrote:

> Am Don, 16 Dez 1999 schrieb "Lord And Master;:
> > I have a problem the system is now locking on and off and requires a
> > hard reboot wich I suspect might be a problem with the new kernel? (it
> > did not start this till the 2.2.14 was interduced. wich is not realy the
> > problem after the reboot everytime it locks something else seems to stop
> > working I am now having to manualy start gnome it just boots me into a
> > xterm when I log into my acount via kdm
> >
> > also apache seg faults contiulusly till I shut it down, other glitchs
> > are poping up left and right.
> >
> > -DarkWlf
>
> I had problems with the 2.2.14 kernel too
>
> When System Load gets high (for example with two Seti@Home clients running) the
> system hangs after some minutes of operation.
>
> This seems to be a problem with the optimized kernel!
> Someone told me its is not too good to compile the kernel with gcc above 2.7.2.3
> becuase the optimizations of gcc-2.95.x, egcs and pgcc could produce "bad code".

Alan tests 2.2.x with gcc-2.95.

> Maybe the kernel should be recompiled without "-O6 mcpu=ix86 ..." and
> gcc-2.7.2.3!

It's not compiled with -O6,
-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentium -mcpu=pentium
-march=pentium -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations

Just like everything else.

> I tried this and my system works without problems now...
>
> Jürgen

My last major problem with 2.2 is supposed tobe in the latest pre14,
woohoo :)

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon