On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Jürgen Herrmann wrote:

> Juergen Herrmann wrote:
>
> >  > On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Juergen Herrmann wrote:
> >  >
> >  > > > I have a problem the system is now locking on and off and requires a
> >  > > > hard reboot wich I suspect might be a problem with the new kernel? (it
> >  > > > did not start this till the 2.2.14 was interduced. wich is not realy the
> >  > > > problem after the reboot everytime it locks something else seems to stop
> >  > > > working I am now having to manualy start gnome it just boots me into a
> >  > > > xterm when I log into my acount via kdm
> >  > > >
> >  > > > also apache seg faults contiulusly till I shut it down, other glitchs
> >  > > > are poping up left and right.
> >  > > >
> >  > > > -DarkWlf
> >  > >
> >  > > I had problems with the 2.2.14 kernel too
> >  > >
> >  > > When System Load gets high (for example with two Seti@Home clients running)
>the
> >  > > system hangs after some minutes of operation.
> >  > >
> >  > > This seems to be a problem with the optimized kernel!
> >  > > Someone told me its is not too good to compile the kernel with gcc above
>2.7.2.3
> >  > > becuase the optimizations of gcc-2.95.x, egcs and pgcc could produce "bad
>code".
> >  >
> >  > Alan tests 2.2.x with gcc-2.95.
> >

> Yes, but testing doesn't mean that it works!!!!
> In the Change Summary for linux-2.2.14pre9 he mentioned
>
>       o       gcc 2.95 changes
>
> so I think there are still problems with the compiler....
>
> Try reading this:
> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19991004_37.html#8
> and this :
> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19990927_36.html#23
> and :
> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19991004_37.html#5
> and:
> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19990729_29.html#3
> and :
> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19990610_22.html#6
>
> This should be enough information for now....

Well in fact your beating a dead horse, we all know what compiler is
recommended. I didn't see anyone complaining when everything was compiled
with pgcc-1.1.3. Infact your beating the wrong dead horse i don't even
maintain the kernel rpm ;)

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon