Am Fre, 17 Dez 1999 schrieb Dara Hazeghi:
> Axalon Bloodstone wrote:

> > > I had problems with the 2.2.14 kernel too
> > >
> > > When System Load gets high (for example with two Seti@Home clients running) the
> > > system hangs after some minutes of operation.
> > >
> > > This seems to be a problem with the optimized kernel!
> > > Someone told me its is not too good to compile the kernel with gcc above 2.7.2.3
> > > becuase the optimizations of gcc-2.95.x, egcs and pgcc could produce "bad code".
> >
> > Alan tests 2.2.x with gcc-2.95.
> >
> > > Maybe the kernel should be recompiled without "-O6 mcpu=ix86 ..." and
> > > gcc-2.7.2.3!
> >
> > It's not compiled with -O6,
> > -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s -mpentium
>-mcpu=pentium -march=pentium -ffast-math -fexpensive-optimizations
> >
> > Just like everything else.
>
> Even that's aggressive. I get kernel oopses just running RPM on 2.2.14. Maybe it
>would have been wiser to await an official 2.2.14 release?
> It is confusing having a patched 2.2.13 called 2.2.14 .

It is just as I said, the kernel-developers and the people at gnu say that
compiling the kernel with anything else as gcc-2.7.2.3 could be fatal stability.

Just try it out and use a kernel compiled with gcc-2.95.2.
Then produce some heavy processor load and watch the output of xosview!
Then use a kernel compiled with gcc-2.7.2.3 and compare!
You will see significant differences SYS cpu load and interrupt handling...

CU

Jürgen