Ron Stodden wrote:

> Civileme wrote:
>
> > OK  NOW I can say kdf is not at fault, but we have one helluva bug in the
>filesystem
> > persisting through 6.1, 7.0 and 7.1.  This is PARTITIONED for
> > 6388704 blocks and allows use of only about 2000000 of them....
> >
> > Why didn't you see this?
> >
> > My guess is that you didn't have a legacy of cranky IDEs from a
> > windows-sort-of-installation  where you had to set the BIOS to NORMAL or LARGE to
> > get the disk to work at all.  Disks, I might add, that will be rotated out as soon
> > as budget permits.  All the other disks with this problem are also set either to
> > LARGE or NORMAL in the BIOS.  The LBA mounts work sem to work fine.
>
> I have strictly, ever since experiencing the fdisk and Disk Druid
> bugs, set up all disks LBA (involving conversion (backup, remove all
> partitions, set LBA in the bios, repartition, restore data) without
> data loss - that's a real chore!) and used only Partition Magic for
> ALL partitioning and resizing, including Windows partitions.  All I
> let DrakX do is set the mount point, since it is not proven software,
> and there is one report of it generating overlapping partitions.
>
> > But I think it is curious that you assume you are so correct that proper operation
> > at your site disproves my claim from experience at mine.
>
> Is that not what has happened?  I am very glad that I sparked you
> into having another look at this and that kdf gets the credit for
> making you first aware that all was not well.
>
> Partitioning problems can be very subtle and set totally disastrous
> time bombs, no joke, no joke, no joke!   NO JOKE!
>
> > Perhaps you wrote that response faster than you intended?
>
> I always doing that (and getting into trouble <g>).
>
> There is an excellent DOS utility on the Partition Magic rescue
> floppies called PARTINFO.  This is NOT the same as the Windows PM
> PARTINFO option.  Run this for a full diagnostic report on everything
> wrong with your partition tables.   I will not use a drive until
> PARTINFO produces no errors and no warnings.    Running this is my
> insurance premium, and so far, so good!

Well, I used fdisk to set up my partitions and it still reports
no problems and the full blocksize of the partitions.  Partition
magic is difficult to use without DOS or windows and these large
but weird disks are all on servers.  I would not call fdisk at
fault here--obviously there is some overflow problem in some
pointer related to CHS--and it affects the ext2fs, the kernel,
df, and kdf, but not fdisk.  I think I will have to go source
mining to find it.

Civileme