Le dim 23/03/2003 à 05:14, Adam Williamson a écrit :

> Overall, I can broadly say...it worked. Good marks for that :). But,
> there were some gotchas along the way. First of all there was rather an
> annoying problem with openSSL. When I just did an --auto-select, it
> failed due to missing "openssl-devel". I *think* the problem is the 0.96
> (9.0) and 0.97 (9.1) packages don't work well together, and the
> --auto-select was just planning on removing the 0.96 packages (or at
> least the devel package) without updating to the 0.97 packages. My
> workaround was to download and install the 0.97 packages manually. This

Since urpmi is experiencing big improvement since 9.0, it was necessary
to upgrade at least before urpmi (using updates or unsupported) before
doing the auto-select itself. For the 9.1 this is still the case as lot
of fixes have been done for newer urpmi (so small glitches using old
urpmi may appear on some case which is problably the case using
openssl-devel).

> Secondly, urpmi is still not quite good enough for doing a
> between-versions upgrade entirely automatically, because of the problem
> of adding new packages. It installed several config files which expected
> the Galaxy theme packages, but of course it didn't install these, I had
> to do it manually. I also manually installed the zcip and tmdns
> packages, because it seems these are necessary for 9.1 machines to work
> as simple network clients - if you try and set up a system with
> drakconnect without these packages installed, it tries to install them
> (which obviously doesn't work if you only have network sources :>). If
> using urpmi to update is to become a recommended path, as I believe some
> people have discussed, I propose it needs some kind of way of taking
> into account "highly recommended" new packages in the new version like
> this.

All of this is config files handling (which is not done by urpmi) and
media management (for avoiding network usage by drakconnect) which need
doing a little to help it.

> Overall, though, I was very impressed - after I worked around these
> niggles, it happily updated the entire distribution (over 600 packages).
> I tweaked the surprisingly few config files that installed as .rpmnew,
> installed the new Cooker kernel, rebooted and there was 9.1, in all its
> glory! Good stuff, it's nice that this pretty much works now :).

It will be effectively better when it upgrades smootly correctly, there
will be new features for next urpmi which will be smaller transaction,
allowing /var not to become full for upgrading entire distribution.

Doing updates of urpmi will also help this process to be taken into
account, else it is generally necessary to just "urpmi urpmi" in order
to update urpmi first before updating everything else.

François.