Denis HAVLIK wrote:

> Could it be that LS120 behaves diferently when it has a "normal" floppy in
> it (showing up as /dev/hdb), from when it gets a "LS-120" floppy (showing
> up as /dev/hdb1)?
>
> Pixel, what did you test this beast with: normal floppies, LS120
> floppies or both?
>
> cu
> --
> Dr. Denis Havlik                <http://www.ap.univie.ac.at/users/havlik>
> Mandrakesoft            |||     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Quality Assurance      (@ @)    (private: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
> -------------------oOO--(_)--OOo---------------------
[Chuckles}

Yes, it does.

You can make a bootable (using a hacked mkbootdisk) /dev/hda1 or
/dev/hdc1 using an LS120 with an LS120 cartridge, but you cannot
make a rescue floppy on /dev/hda or /dev/hdc because mknod()
doesn't like it.  I suppose the LS120 can be located on the slave
positions, but not all BIOSes support booting from those slave
positions.  And LS120s DO allow booting from floppies, just not
making them (writing the boot sector).

It is my practice to equip new machines with LS120 drives and no
floppies because the laser positioner, the general quality, and
the enhanced speed make for a much more reliable device with a
longer service life.  I can buy floppies for $8 US and I have to
pay 7 times that figure for an LS120, and I figure floppies these
days have had the quality wrung out of them by price
competition.  My experience is that six months in service is
enough time that the chances a floppy written by one drive are
70% that it can be read by another.

Civileme