Andi Payn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > > As I mentioned in my last email, there are problems in at least
> > > these three pairs of packages that prevent the old and new
> > > versions from coexisting, even though this wasn't true with
> > > recent versions: libsigc++1.0-devel and libsigc++1.2-devel;
> > > libmysql10 and libmysql12; and gimp and gimp1_3.
> >
> > i've no problem in having both gimp-1.2 and gimp1_3-1.3 installed
> > at the same moment
>
> Do you have the latest versions of gimp, gimp1_3, and rpm?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~/rpm/SPECS $ rpm -qa \*gimp\* rpm | sort
gimp-1.2.5-2mdk
gimp-perl-1.2.5-2mdk
libgimp1.2_1-1.2.5-1mdk
libgimp1.2-1.2.5-2mdk
libgimp14-1.3.14-2mdk
libgimpprint1-4.2.5-18mdk
rpm-4.2-8mdk

> I retested by taking a stock 9.1 machine, urpmi'ng enough of cooker
> to the point where I could install the current versions of gimp and
> gimp1_3, then upgrading gimp, then upgrading gimp1_3, and it wanted
> to uninstall gimp.

note that i install these packages when i build them, and that some
dependancies may have changed since and may preventing installing them
*now*

> Given that gimp1_3 obsoletes gimp-data-min, and gimp provides
> gimp-data-min, if rpm -U gimp1_3 doesn't want to uninstall gimp, I
> think that would be a bug in RPM?

they both provides/obsoletes it, so there's no bug there.

> > > By the way, gimp-1.2.5 provides hackgimp. I don't think this is
> > > right, is it?
> >
> > of course it is: compatibility with previous distros when we had
> > both stable gimp-1.0 and development hackgimp-1.1.x which became
> > the new gimp-1.2.0
>
> But this is better served by having it obsolete hackgimp < 1.2,
> rather than providing hackgimp.

of course yes

> The main difference between the two lies in other packages' requirements. If
> gimp-1.2 provides hackgimp, then other packages can depend on hackgimp when
> they mean "gimp >= 1.1". I don't think this is a good thing. For one, it
> pretty much fixes the definition of "hackgimp" to be "gimp >= 1.1" forever
> (or at least until 1.4 comes out). For another, it's a bit weird conceptually
> for "hackgimp" to mean "the old 1.1 development tree" rather than "the
> current development tree."

the point is that we do not want to break updates.

we cannot change the past, only the future, so here's the hackgimp
definition.

> And of course it means that the "hackgimp" name is no longer
> available for 1.3, 1.5, 1.9, etc.

if we do not want to break updates, yes.

this is why i named the new gtk+2 branch gimp1_3 in order to be able
to have both gtk+-1 and gtk+-2 installed at the same time.

same thing for abiword2, apache2, imlib2, libalsa2, libgnome*, ...

> (although that may not be a problem if the new "gimp1_3"-style names
> are preferred).

they're obvioulsy more suited in order to support both update from
previously released distros and cohabitation of different trees.

> > but when do you upload those fixed packages (at least those
> > belonging to contribs) ?
>
> I already uploaded the .spec files, as I explained in the previous
> message. I realize that the cooker submission instructions say to
> upload the .src.rpm.

it would just be easier if you send me the spec files for my packages