For some reason, Mandrake keeps changing the installation scripts for each
version of the package. All previous changes were cosmetic, but this one is
dangerous.

Earlier install scripts prompted for expert install and creation of a boot
disk.  The new script moved the prompts off the main sequence (and for
"expert install", got rid of the prompt entirely.  It is now a command line
parameter.)

 I have three SCSI drives and the boot disk is the newest and fastest of the
three. Not surprisingly I assigned it a higher SCSI ID than the first two to
avoid taking them out, resetting jumpers, and shuffling them around on the
cable. It doesn't matter to SCSI which one is boot drive, you just set
controller to boot that one.

Linux treats this drive as device "sdc", however, calling the other two
drives "sda" and "sdb". Mandrake installation script defaults to writing the
bootstrap on the lowest numbered disk, in this case "sda". But my "sda" did
not have an operating system on it any more. So trying to boot from such a
drive gets computer nowhere.

When I installed 9.0 the last time, I made a boot floppy in case I assigned
the boot sequence to the wrong drive. It turned out I had, but I was able to
get into Linux with the floppy and fix things. The Mandrake 9.1 installation
script without telling me, stuck the bootstrap on a drive with no OS and did
not prompt for a boot floppy.  (it does, but you have to scroll off the page
to find the prompt and it is really easy to miss.  I don't know if it even
comes up on an ordinary install.)

I kept waiting for the prompts from the old script and they never came.  I
had to run through the install three times to figure out where the script
had been changed, and by then something had gone wrong with the boot
sequence. I could boot into Linux but not Windows. I had to reinstall the
Windows partition and to get rid of the linux bootstrap, lost all the
settings for my Windows programs.